I am honored to be one of the new Beat Writers on the preeminent birding blog on the internet, 10,000 Birds. How did I get invited to join such an august group of birders and bird bloggers? Good question.
I know. It seems far fetched doesn’t it? Larry Jordan being included with names like Julie Zickefoose and Bill Thompson, III. I could claim I don’t know how it happened but I do know. I’m just not telling ;-) I will not be letting THAT bird out of the bag.
All kidding aside though, I am looking forward to expanding my reach on conservation issues and letting more people know about the great birding opportunities out here in the West. My beat is the West Coast and I plan on bringing some of the best birding hot spots (as well as other issues) into focus for my fellow birders every other Wednesday starting November 10th as a 10,000 Birds Beat Writer.
Just check out the gaggle of Beat Writers Mike, Charlie and Corey have lined up for us:
- Patrick Belardo of The Hawk Owl’s Nest on the New Jersey and Butterfly Beat
- Julie Zickefoose of JulieZickefoose.com on, what else, Zickefoosean Observation
- Christopher Ciccone of Picus Blog on the New England Beat
- Nate Swick of The Drinking Bird has two beats, the Southeastern US and the American Birding World
- Carrie Laben of Great Auk- or Greatest Auk? will cover the Interior West of the US
- Jory Langner as the 10,000 Birds Avian Quizmaster
- Dan Rhoads of Migrations on the Cyprus Beat
- Jochen Roeder of Bell Tower Birding on the Central Europe and Bird Names Beats
- Redgannet, the International Birder of Mystery will cover the International Birding Beat
- Clare Morten will cover the Western Australia Beat as a guest poster
- Duncan Wright of Wikipedia fame will be on the New Zealand Beat
- James Currie of Birding Adventures TV fame will cover Worldwide Birding Adventures
- Renato Espinosa, owner and operator of Pululahua Hostal in Equador will cover, what else, the Equador Beat
- Alan Tilmouth of Birds Words Nature Images will cover UK Birding
- Sharon Stiteler AKA BirdChick will cover two beats, the Upper Midwest and Bird Feeding
- Clare Kines of The House & Other Arctic Musings will cover the Canadian Arctic
- Rick Wright of Aimophila Adventures has the Birds for Worders Beat
- Robert Gallardo author of Birds of Honduras has, what else, the Honduras Beat
- Bill Thompson, III of Bill of the Birds fame will cover Off Beat Birding
- Dale Forbes of Discovering Alpine Bird’s beat will be Looking Out From The Alps
- James Wolstencroft AKA Birdman of Arusha will cover Birds and Man
- David Ringer of Search and Serendipity will be looking at Taxonomy and Systematics
I know, it’s a bit overwhelming but stick with me as we learn a heck of a lot about birding wherever we are on this tiny blue dot. There is a whole new world waiting out there to explore. Let’s get to it!